Thursday, October 14, 2010

From a Pantser to a Plotter?

I admit I'm a slow writer, and I think part of the reason is that I'm a pantser, trying to brainstorm ideas and put them into words at the same time. (The other part, of course, is that I goof off when I should be writing.) Still, I have been able to plow through and finish my drafts. But with both of the new projects I started recently, I've been having a particularly hard time with it. I think that's because there's still things I need to work out not just about the plot, but about some of the characters and the world-building. So lately instead of working on the stories, I've been focusing on the brain-storming and pre-writing parts. I've drawn up character sheets, developed two alien races (though there's still so much to decide about them), and even started a story outline. Hopefully this will make NaNoWriMo go more smoothly, though I fear I may throw all my prep work out the window once I do start writing. But I find the brainstorming sessions invigorating and productive, so maybe they will be useful. Maybe I won't even have to write umpteen zillion drafts before I have a decent story.

So, are you a plotter or a pantser, or somewhere in the middle? Have you ever tried to change your writing style? If so, did it work out for you?

5 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

When I get to the point where it's necessary, THEN I plot and plan. Not before.
Though - I'm not building worlds and making up new races of people...

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm a pantser, although I suspect that I might plot out all of my books in some very dark and obscure part in the back of my mind. How else do I know what happens at the ends?

Shallee said...

I'm both, sort of. I have to have some world-building, character sketching, and basic plot outlining before I start. But then, I just write and write and end up completely off my outline, my characters change from their sketches, and my world become much more fascinating and deep. I always end up changing the beginning brainstorming, but without it, I can't get started.

Good luck with NaNo!

Barbara Ann Wright said...

I make some initial notes and then take off. It's not unusual for me to ditch most of my notes mid-stream.

Also, pantser sounds like you pull the pants off of everyone you meet. Mad Pantser!

Are we nano friends? I can never remember. If we're not, my username is zendra.

Golden Eagle said...

I'm a bit of both. I usually have a plot laid out, but I don't always follow it through . . . :P

Site Meter