Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Get Your Geek On

As you can imagine, I've been a bit busy since Alex arrived. It seems like as soon as I finish feeding him and putting him down to sleep he wakes up again. Plus I haven't been anywhere exciting; the last time I even drove my car was the day Alex was born. So that explains why I haven't blogged in a while.

Tonight on CNN's homepage, though, I saw something worth blogging about. There was an article about surprising things you can get for free. Among them was coursework at MIT. I guess this isn't really new -- other colleges are also offering noncredit online courses -- but I still found it cool. This would also be a good resource for science fiction writers looking to learn more about basic science or about something more advanced, like quantum physics or genetics. (They have biophysics as well, but that doesn't turn me on; I took it for my major, and it was a tough class.) There are also anthropology, language, literature, and even writing courses. I bookmarked the site, though I do have to wonder when I think I'll find time to do any of these courses. I suppose it would help if I stopped playing games and got to work. Even I can't convince myself learning about science is as relaxing as a game of Zuma, though.

1 comment:

Maria Zannini said...

Great resource, Sandra. You should post this on Broad Universe and OWW.

I was very interested in some past courses they had on the MIT site but they haven't made it to the archived section yet.

You intrigued me enough to do a little sleuthing on my own and I found these two that also looked interesting.

World Lecture Hall
http://web.austin.utexas.edu/wlh/browse.cfm

Virtual University
http://vu.org/calendar.html
This one has one $20 fee for up to four classes.

Thanks for posting this! Hope you and your family are happy and well. :o)

-maria

Site Meter